The Japanese artist Takashi Murakami combines highly refined classical Japanese painting techniques with distinctive Pop sensibilities. Known for his “Superflat” style, directly influenced by manga and anime, the artist creates works that explode with color and playfulness. For the 2015–16 ski season, in collaboration with Aspen Skiing Company, Murakami has produced four unique images, all of which embody his trademark visual aesthetic.
Each exhibition is accompanied by Educator Notes, which provide an exhibition overview, guided questions for conversation, and suggested activities.
The Aspen Art Museum is offering a new after-school workshop for middle school students to develop skills of self-expression, teamwork, and creative art-making techniques using a variety of materials. Participants will work together over several weeks to present an exhibition of their work in the final session. This program is offered at two locations:
Aspen Youth Center:
1. Wednesdays, October 18, and 25, 3–4:30 PM
2. Wednesdays, November 1, 8, 15, and 29, 3–4:30 PM
3. Wednesdays, December 6 and 13, 3–4:30 PM
4. Exhibition Opening Party: Wednesday, December 20, 3–4:30 PM
To register with Aspen Youth Center: 970.544.4130
Basalt Middle School (offered as part of SecondShift Access AfterSchool)
1. Tuesdays, October 10, 17, and 24, 3:30–5 PM
2. Tuesdays, November 7, 14, and 28, 3:30–5 PM
3. Tuesdays, December 5 and 12, 3:30–5 PM
4. Exhibition Opening Party: Tuesday, December 19, 3:30–5 PM
To register with Access AfterSchool: 970-281-5437 or email@example.com
General operating support is provided by Colorado Creative Industries. CCI and its activities are made possible through an annual appropriation from the Colorado General Assembly and federal funds from the National Endowment for the Arts.